How do Lunar Light Towers compare with conventional light towers?
The data below is based on a single 12kW Lunar Light Tower compared to SIX 4x 1000W standard light towers. Timing is based on 10 hours operation per day.
Figures are approximate and may be subject to change at any time without notice.
12kW Lunar Light Tower
Standard Light Tower
|Glare free||Glare-Free||Not available|
|Hot restrike bulb||Yes – Instantaneous strike up||Up to 20 minutes wait before lights can be restruck|
|Fuel Tank volume per unit||66 gallons (250 L)||30 gallons (114 L)|
|Fuel consumption||Approx. 0.7 gallons/hour ( 2.5 L). Fill up 1 unit instead of 6***||3.8 gallons/hour (14.4 L)|
|Fuel consumption per month Gal (L)||198 (750 L)||1,134 (4,292 L)|
|Monthly cost savings compared to 6 towers with 4x 1000W lamps (approx).||Fuel volume|
Labor for fuel top-ups
Est. monthly savings
Est. annual savings
|936 (3,542 L)|
|Light color temperature||6000° Kelvin – natural daylight reproduction||3800° Kelvin – yellow & uneven|
|Light characteristic||Shadowless and uniform||Not available|
|Lighting direction control||360° and/or 180° Change over in minutes||360° not available – min 4 light towers required|
|Maintenance||One light tower||Several light towers|
|Set up and transport||One light tower||Several light towers|
|Lamps required||1 x 12,000W HMI Lamp||At least 24 x 1000W lamps|
|Vertical hydraulic stabilizers||Yes – easy to anchor, each hydraulic leg is independently controlled to give superior stability on uneven terrain||Not standard|
|Rigid polymer Lunar Light head||Optional for permanent mounting||Not available.|
|Mast height||33ft (10 meters)||Average of 23ft (7meters)|
|Wind Speed||65 mph (100 kph) at full mast height||n/a|
|Ancillary Power||3kVA ancillary power points available||Not standard|
|Braking System||Mechanical disc brakes||Drum brakes|
|Suspension||Off road hexagonal rubber suspension torsion bar||Leaf suspension|
|Wheels||17″ Desert wheels||Not standard|
Real project cost savings and real benefits
A conventional light tower produces approximately 100,000 lumens.
The single 12,000W globe inside the Lunar Lighting Tower is rated at 1,200,000 lumen output.
Compare the Benefits of Lunar Light Towers
- INCREDIBLE LIGHT POWER: A conventional portable light tower, typically covers an area of 45,208 sq. feet (4250m²). One 12,000W HMI Lunar Light Tower covers approx 538,200 sq. feet (50,000m²)**
- PRODUCTIVITY: As one 12,000W HMI Lunar Light Tower can replace approx 6 standard flood lights– less work, reduced setup/stow-away, cartage and maintenance
- GLARE FREE: Lunar Light systems use a different technology to standard incandescent lights. The light is glare free, and reproduces daylight (6000°K), which provides an optimum night time work environment, a safer workplace for workers and plant operators.
- SHADOW FREE: Lunar lights reduce shadowing caused by directional beams. The shadows that remain are shallow and safe, compared to the dark blackness of directional shadows.
- LOWER COST: Refer to above table.
- PRODUCT RANGE: Lunar has a light for every purpose – towed and non-towed products that can be transported in an automobile and even person portable units for maintenance call outs at night, see the products page.
- ROBUST, DEPENDABLE: Dependable in harsh conditions such as mining sites and desert environments. Independent university tests have demonstrated stability in winds of up to 65mph (100km/hr) Engineered tough, and built to last.
- LIGHTING DIRECTION: Can be changed from 360° to 180° in minutes if there are light constraints above the horizontal plane such as airports, landing strips and nearby neighbourhoods.
- Easy to use push button controls and built to last.
- The internal cabinets have their own battery powered lighting.
- Fuel efficient and smaller carbon footprint.
- Set up one unit instead of several conventional lighting units.
*The lux level can be increased by up to 2800% with the use of a Lunar Reflector.
**The light intensity will vary with distance from light source and mast height.
***Yanmar specifications for the TNV88 engine @ 1500rpm is 2.5L/Hr at 75% engine load.